Golf cart running boards are necessary equipment that helps you enter or exit your golf cart. If your golf cart is a bit high from the ground, then you must need a running board for ease of use. The name “running board” has an enigmatic history. The earliest running boards were mounted on carriages in the 17th century, long before automobiles existed.
A tram (trolley, cable car, or streetcar in North America), automobile, or truck’s running board or footboard is a narrow step installed beneath the side doors. It is typical of vintage trams and cars, which had much greater ground clearance than today’s vehicles, and it assists access, especially into high vehicles. It’s also a fashion statement on cars that don’t need it.
- 1 What are Golf Cart Running Boards?
- 2 Types of Golf Cart Running Boards
- 3 What Do Golf Cart Running Boards Do?
- 4 How to Install Golf Cart Running Boards?
- 5 How to Adjust Golf Cart Running Boards?
- 6 How to Work with Golf Cart Running Boards?
- 7 How to Repair Golf Cart Running Boards?
- 8 Safety Tips for Golf Cart Running Boards
- 9 How to Clean Golf Cart Running Boards?
- 10 Why Golf Cart Running Boards Are Not Working?
- 11 Frequently Asked Questions
- 12 Conclusion
What are Golf Cart Running Boards?
A golf cart running board is a platform that is affixed to the doors of a golf cart that makes it easier for passengers to board and exit the vehicle. Running boards are most found on trucks and SUVs, where the high ground clearance makes it difficult to access or exit the vehicle. They are often designed with a nonslip pad comprised of heavy steel and rubber or heavy-duty plastic foot padding.
Types of Golf Cart Running Boards
The main types of running boards are as follows:
- Running Boards with Electricity
- Traditional Running Boards
Running Boards With Electricity
The most expensive running boards on the market are electric running boards. When you install these running boards on your truck, they’ll swing out when you open the door and fold back in when you close it. When someone opens or closes a vehicle’s door, electric running boards receive a signal from its control module. Electric running boards are sometimes equipped with LED lights to assist drivers in seeing clearly while exiting their vehicles at night.
Traditional Running Boards
Traditional running boards are flat, stationary stairs that can be attached beneath the doors of your car. These boards are frequently available in fairly large quantities. Traditional running boards are between 3 and 5 inches wide on average. Some traditional running boards have LED lights that might help you step out of your car at night when it’s dark.
What Do Golf Cart Running Boards Do?
A golf cart running board work as a platform connected to the doors of the cart that makes it easier for passengers to board and exit.
How to Install Golf Cart Running Boards?
Not just for you, but also for your friends, loved ones, and even the family dog, a nice set of running boards can make entering and exiting your golf cart much easier. This installation guidence will show you how to quickly install a new pair of running boards on your golf cart, providing a secure, non-slip manner to enter and exit your golf cart. This installation is for the Ionic 61 Series Running Boards, but many other boards and bars can be installed similarly.
Step 1: Install the Bolt Plate into the Factory Holes
This piece allows the brackets to be securely secured without the need for drilling.
Step 2: Use the included hardware to attach the front brackets
For the time being, keep these brackets finger-tight because they may need to be adjusted later.
Step 3: Carry on with the process for the Center and Rear Brackets
The number of brackets depends on the year, make, model, and cab size of your cart.
Step 4: When the board is positioned on the brackets, the threaded section should face down
Step 5: Placing the Board on the Brackets
Ensure that the running board bolts are aligned with the bracket slots.
Step 6: Bolts should be fed through slots in brackets
Carry out this procedure for each set of brackets.
Step 7: Use the provided hardware to secure the item
Before final tightening, leave it finger-tight at first for ease of adjustment.
Step 8: Tighten the brackets around the truck and the board
Tighten the bracket and board bolts down after you’re pleased with the board’s location.
Step 9: Repeat the procedure on the opposite side
On the other side of the vehicle, repeat the preceding steps.
Step 10: Check your hardware on a regular basis and tighten it if needed
How to Adjust Golf Cart Running Boards?
The boards can be shifted inward, outward, forward, or backward once attached to the brackets. This innovation adds to the versatility of the running boards, allowing them to be exactly fitted to your golf cart.
How to Work with Golf Cart Running Boards?
Normally, brackets join the running boards to the frame of a truck or SUV. The boards bolt to the brackets, and the brackets bolt to the holes that are already in the frame from the factory, so there is usually no cutting or drilling required.
The majority of brackets are custom-fit for specific vehicle applications, as it is preferable to have brackets with pre-drilled OE holes. Carmakers drill these holes to enable aftermarket installation.
Depending on the type and form of golf cart running boards, you may discover products with a rubberized piece on the top to provide greater grip and traction on slick surfaces.
How to Repair Golf Cart Running Boards?
You can repair Golf Cart Running Boards in a few steps to make them appealing and usable again.
- To begin, look through the boards to see whether they need to be repaired. You should restore the boards if they are rusted or if the matting has been ruined. Any holes in the running boards may require a welding iron to repair. It may take up to three days for the repairs to be completed.
- With the ratchet, unscrew the running boards from the car’s side. The heater channel is where most running boards attach. The front and rear fenders, as well as the heater channel, are bolted to the running boards. With a ratchet, disconnect the nuts and remove the running boards away from the automobile.
- Examine the rubber matting on the running boards for damage. It’s likely that numerous pieces are scuffed, flaking, or torn. If this is the case, simply discard it. New running board rubber is less expensive and easier to install than repairing the old rubber.
- Using a putty knife, remove the rubber from the running boards. You must disrupt the link between the rubber and the running board. Peel the rubber off with your hands once you can grip it.
- Underneath the rubber, inspect the metal. Replace the entire running board if there are any locations where rust has eaten through the metal (or weld a replacement patch on the existing running board, see Step 5). With a soft cloth, rub adhesive remover over the entire running board. Scrub rusty spots with steel wool after this application.
- To the running board, weld a replacement sheet metal repair. Using an orbital sander, sand the metal until it is smooth and flat. If you don’t want to replace the whole running board, skip to this step. On the running boards, apply a coat of rust-inhibiting spray paint.
- Open the edge of the running board where the rubber matting is attached to the board with pliers.
- Place the running board on a stable and flat surface. Tape the opening closed with a hammer after laying the rubber over the running boards.
Safety Tips for Golf Cart Running Boards
Because running boards are utilized as ladders, they must be kept clean and dry to avoid slipping and resulting in injury. Some running boards come with a built-in gripping surface that can help with traction, but these surfaces can wear out with time.
How to Clean Golf Cart Running Boards?
- Wipe the running board surface clean with a dry cloth to remove any dust or debris. Remove any dried-on or crusted dirt that the dry cloth couldn’t get rid of with a non-abrasive cleaning pad. Add a detergent or liquid soap to the bucket of warm water. Take the cleaning pad or towel that isn’t abrasive. Soak it in the water and soap solution, and then use it to clean the running board of any debris.
- Scrub the running board carefully with the pad in a circular motion. Scrub the board in the grain’s direction if the grain is visible. Make a 50/50 water/white vinegar solution. To absorb the solution, use a cloth. Scrub the aluminum board with a moistened towel. Concentrate on discolored areas by moving in a circular manner or following the grain’s direction. Clean the portions that are more badly stained using the cream of tartar.
- Then, using half a tablespoon of water and a tablespoon of cream of tartar, prepare a paste. It’s important that the paste isn’t overly wet. Apply the paste to the highly discolored regions and let it sit for five to ten minutes. The paste should then be rubbed away using a damp towel. Allow the paste to sit for five to ten minutes on the areas that are significantly discolored.
- Using a moist towel, wipe the paste away. Next, carefully wipe away the glass cleaner with a dry cloth, either in a circular motion or in the direction of the aluminum grain.
Why Golf Cart Running Boards Are Not Working?
This is due to a variety of reasons. Running boards fail for a variety of reasons, including the sort of running boards you have and the weather conditions where you live.
- Due to the nature of this product, running boards may be damaged by stones, obstructions, road debris, or other vehicles because they protrude from the side of the car.
- The motor can fail if you have retractable running boards.
- If your running boards have rubber on the top, the rubber may disintegrate over time.
- Moisture and/or road salt can cause metal running boards to rust or corrode.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What makes a Nerf bar different from golf cart running boards?
Answer: Running boards usually are wider, have a stepping pad that runs the length of the board. Nerf bars, on the other hand, are narrower and serve as a stepping surface at each of your cabin’s access points.
Question: Will these fit on a 2021 club car golf cart?
Question: What are the prices of running boards?
Answer: Aftermarket running boards can cost anything from $170 to $1,700. Material, color or finish, recommended use, product fit, shape, warranty, and set inclusions are all elements that influence pricing.
Running boards serve to safeguard your car from damage by blocking debris. Golf cart running boards also aid in keeping your golf cart’s inside clean. They serve as a type of doormat, allowing passengers to wash dirt from their shoes before entering their cart.
About Golf Cart Lights: How to Wire Lights on a 48 Volt Golf Cart?